Friday, January 4, 2013

Krispy Kreme Donuts Copycat Recipe

Our tradition for New Year's Day is to try new things. Or sometimes the kids get new shirts. Last year I made them each a new fuzzy blanket and we tried a new recipe, Italian Cream Sodas, which are super yummy and played a new game (I can't remember what though!) 

This year I thought it would be fun to try making donuts. So, we decided to give THIS copycat recipe for Krispy Kreme donuts on Food.com a try. 


Pretending to eat the runny eggs is way better than smiling, right?



Molly is very entertained by the bread dough going around and around in the mixture. It might have something to do with the fact that she's constantly stopping and starting it and then making it go faster or slower. 

But...how cute is that tutu-ed tush? I love it. And she loves wearing that ballerina costume. 

So, I got the dough made and then....it got later and later and we had dinner and then decided to watch a new movie, Night at the Museum 2, which we'd only seen once before and gotten it for Christmas. Well, I realized at once point I did not in any way feel like finishing those donuts. So, I popped them outside in our garage in a covered bowl where it was colder than the fridge and plopped down to enjoy the movie with my family. 

The next day I brought the dough back into the kitchen to let it warm up and rise again. It took alllllllll day! Finally I was able to start working with it and got all the donuts cut out. 




Now. Let me just say, I need a donut cutter. I had to use a biscuit cutter and a small glass spice jar to cut out the middle! It was a bit of a process. But it was fun and Molly had fun cutting them out, too.







You will notice there is a severe lack of beautiful pictures of finished donuts. This is probably due to the fact that we were either frying, glazing or sprinkling them....or scarfing them down! The kids loooooved them.

So, needless to say, this recipe was a huge hit. And I was surprised how easy the donuts were to make. I thought it would be a more difficult process, but it wasn't that bad. Of course, this could be due to the fact that I spread it out over two days.

We'll definitely be making these again. So, I definitely better find me a donut cutter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.